Hi all,
    Saturday morning the West Pasco Audubon Society took a scheduled trip
to the Anclote park area in West Pasco. The weather was nasty, but since
half dozen or so people showed up, the walk proceeded anyway. It was
raining at the meeting spot, Key Vista park, so we skipped that spot and
proceeded to Anclote Gulf Park where there was a roofed pavilion
overlooking the Gulf. The rain abated somewhat so we got some birding in,
although the visibility was poor looking out into the water so it was
hard to see what was out there. We did see a Cooper's Hawk, Magnolia
Warblers, and a teaser look at a small yellowish warbler, very possibly a
Wilson's, but couldn't confirm it. Next we drove south to Anclote River
Park where the highlights wee a Great Horned Owl and a Spotted Sandpiper.
Lastly we drove to the new Anclote River Park just south of the county
line in Pinellas County on Dixie Highway in Tarpon Springs. There we saw
Swamp Sparrows, a Robin, lots of Yellow-rumps and a Blue-headed Vireo,
among other things.
    Overall we saw only 35 species or so, but considering the weather I
suppose it wasn't bad.
    Today (Sunday) I did my usual run to Green Key, and also Anclote Gulf
Park, hoping to catch something blown in by the storm. At Green key,
along with the usual stuff, saw my first Horned Grebe of the season,
along with a few fly-by flocks of Blue-winged Teal and 6 Hooded
Mergansers. At Anclote Gulf Park had a Herring Gull, a possible Common
Loon, more Blue-winged Teal, Red-breasted Merganser, and an enticing look
at 3 possible Gannets. Even though the visibility was good it was almost
impossible to remain steady enough in the gale-force wind to get a good
enough look to be sure.
     Well, gotta clean the salt spray off of the bins!

Good birding,
Ray Smart
New Port Richey, FL