Hey All:

Been looking high and low around Key West for the Slaty-backed Gull. No luck.
Spent most last Wednesday driving around to its known haunts with Gerard
Phillips, the guy who found the bird. Poked around myself some this weekend.
All to no avail. No one else locally has had any positive results, either. I
will keep an I peeled.

Did manage to see a Swainson's Hawk over Higgs Beach and an American Avocet
at Boca Chica. Also, as of last week there was a flamingo hanging out in
Marathon, around MM57 on the Gulf Side (roughly between Curry Hammock State
Park and the Grassy Key Dairy Bar).

Happy birding.

Mark Hedden

PS - I'm going to Italy this week. Does anyone have any fall birding advice
for the Florence and Tuscany area? All of it will be new to me.