Friday evening Carmen Tarantino from New York and I, saw 3 Lesser Nighthawks
at Eco Pond in Everglades National Park.  The nighthawks showed up about
6:35 pm.  Look from the boardwalk over Eco Pond and around the parking area.
Also flying around Eco Pond were about 6 Cave Swallows (Mexican race) flying
with Barn Swallows, Northern Rough-winged Swallow and Tree Swallow.  We
looked hard for any other unusual swallows such as the Viera bird with out
luck.  Two Short-tailed Hawks were seen early in the afternoon around Eco
Pond.  Also seen in the morning at Anhinga Trail, were a few American
Goldfinch.  The night drive back to Florida City from Everglades National
park yielded several Whip-poor-wills.

Today along Loop Road in Everglades National Park were two flocks of
American Goldfinch, each flock had about 9-10 birds.  These are the first
Goldfinch that I have seen here in South Florida in a couple of years.  It
looks like it could be a good winter for northern birds!

This evening there was a flock of Cave Swallows (West Indies race)  at the
bridge in Cutler Ridge.

Larry Manfredi
Homestead, Fl.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]