From: "Jeanne Higbee" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: Are your developmental courses mandatory?

> At the University of Minnesota the only mandatory developmental courses
are for those who are not able to place into university-level mathematics.
Within the General College, the developmental education unit of the U, a
full core curriculum is provided, all for graduation credit, including all
composition courses. Developmental education is embedded in
> content-area courses.
>
> Jeanne Higbee
>
> Bob Lemaire wrote:
>
> > Dear Linda:
> >
> > At Kankakee Community College, placement in developmental math and
writing courses are mandatory for students who test into them, based on
ASSET scores.  Reading is also mandatory placement, but only for full-time
students.  Several procedural exemptions greatly diminish the percentage of
tested students who actuallly place into the reading program.