What was the source of funding for your grant?
Thanks
Martha Moore

On 7 Oct 2002 at 9:50, Martha Moore wrote:

> Anyone working/teaching in learning communities for developmental
> students? How are they working? How did you begin to implement them?
> Martha Moore Wytheville Community Colelge, VA

Martha,

You could write a grant and use the money to form a consortium of
colleges interested
in establishing learning communities. Then the consortium could offer
its members a
series of workshops lead by some of the big names, like Jean MacGregor,
Barbara
Leigh Smith, John O'Connor, Joyce Hardiman and Vincent Tinto. I know
its possible
because it has already been done by a group at De Anza College in
Cupertino, Ca.  ; V )

Or you could see all these people in one place at the Conference of the
California
Regional Learning Communities Consortium near Monterey, Ca. on Oct.
29-31,
2003(sorry it is scheduled for next year).For more information about
the conference
and the consortium:

http://www.cal-rlcc.org/announce.html
and
http://www.cal-rlcc.org/index.html

Since the Fall of 2001 at Hartnell College we have offered a learning
community of
ESL, Math and Counseling called The Language of Math. The results have
been very
promising. The model was selected as a runner up for the 2002
Bellwether Award.

Frank

Frank Henderson
Tutorial and Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
Hartnell Community College

My goal in life is to be the kind of person my rabbit
thinks I am. However on weekends, to let off steam,
I participate in full-contact rabbit wrastling.

Phone 831 755-6738
Fax   831 755-6751

To Unsubscribe,
send a message to [log in to unmask]