-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Gene Kerstiens
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 6:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Are your developmental courses mandatory?

--part1_76.25103e3e.2af3179e_boundary

Linda,

The "National Study of Developmental Education" (1992), also known as the
EXXON Study, revealed that 97% of postsecondary schools require mandatory
assessment and that 54% of those that do have a mandatory placement policy.
The study is ten years old, but it's probably the best we have.

However there is a question that usually lurks behind the question asked and
becomes a LRNASST thread -- is mandatory placement more effective than
discretionary placement?  No, according to the EXXON study, which found that
on five success variables mandatory placement is less effective.  But if you
want to read the most complete and compelling study on the topic, try Jim
Utterback (1989) "Closing the Door: A Critical Review of Forced Academic
Placement," JCRL, 22 (1), 14-22.

If you want an unpublished ponderous piece that treats the topic, "Student
Assessment and Placement: A Biography of Measurement Practices and Their
Consequences," let me know, and I'll email you a copy in an attachment.

Regards,

Gene Kerstiens
Andragogy Associates

--part1_76.25103e3e.2af3179e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Linda,<BR>
<BR>
The "National Study of Developmental Education" (1992), also known as the
EXXON Study, revealed that 97% of postsecondary schools require mandatory
assessment and that 54% of those that do have a mandatory placement
policy.&nbsp; The study is ten years old, but it's probably the best we
have.<BR>
<BR>
However there is a question that usually lurks behind the question asked and
becomes a LRNASST thread -- is mandatory placement more effective than
discretionary placement?&nbsp; No, according to the EXXON study, which found
that on five success variables mandatory placement is less effective.&nbsp;
But if you want to read the most complete and compelling study on the topic,
try Jim Utterback (1989) "Closing the Door: A Critical Review of Forced
Academic Placement," <I>JCRL, 22 (1), </I>14-22.<BR>
<BR>
If you want an unpublished ponderous piece that treats the topic, "Student
Assessment and Placement: A Biography of Measurement Practices and Their
Consequences," let me know, and I'll email you a copy in an attachment.<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
<BR>
Gene Kerstiens<BR>