John,

Find below some comments made by Study Behavior Inventory users copied from the website sbi4windows.com  .

User Comments

“We have used the SBI for 3 years now in classes, tutoring, residence hall advisor training, and special workshops for campus groups.  It has been a wonderful ground breaker for  discussion and a great assessment tool for us. As a pre-and post-survey in our classes, students comment on its insight into their success in college.”

Gretchen Starks-Martin,  St. Cloud State University

“The Arizona State University Learning Resource Center has employed the SBI program for  the past year as a tool that benefits students and helps with the marketing of our program. We have had over 1000 freshmen use the SBI during orientations to our Center. This activity begins an initial discussion with  students about their learning needs.  Students are able to leave our Center with a hard copy of their results and the written reminder of our services. It has been a wonderful investment for our needs.”

John Bloomquist,  Arizona State University

“When we made the transition from ELASSI to SBI in our SA100: University Success Strategies class this past spring, students felt that the SBI offered them real feedback and seemed to be "more accurate" in their perceptions of the two inventories. I, too, would agree.  I feel like the students (and  I) are getting "our money's worth" with the SBI because each student automatically gets an explanation of each behavior with suggestions for improvement.  I LOVE IT!  Even though the professor may explain this in class, an instant report generated from their responses catches their attention more quickly.”

Heather Newburg-Ferguson, Lake Superior State University

“The beauty of the SBI is the authoring capability.  Every learning center has different materials and resources.  With your SBI we have entered instructional support references that are specific to our Center.  Students can get a quick profile of their learning needs and immediately have a list of things they can do to improve.”

John Wood, Pasadena City College

“Students in my reading and study skills class take the SBI and then write a reflective response concerning their results.  Almost all of the students say that the SBI gives an accurate appraisal of how they are as students.  Knowing this, we are able to work together to make plans for becoming  better students.  Other instructors in our program have reported similar results from using the SBI. The SBI for us has been a worthy investment.”

Greg Anderson, Indiana Purdue University

“We found the Study Behavior Inventory to be better all around. First of all, the students understand it and we are able to put in our own information such as workshops, who to see about what, etc.  We also found that when we used it in a developmental ed. learning community (consisting of basic reading, basic writing and a college level course - College Success Skills) that factor 1 had a high correlation to their grade in the reading course while factor 3 had a high correlation to their grade in the College Success Skills class. ...Generally speaking, factor 1 also seemed to correlate with their motivation.”

Barbara Fowler, Longview Community College

The SBI has been a very useful tool for working with groups of students enrolled in Eastern's Freshman Year Experience course, with special admissions students, with students participating in workshops, and with students who are receiving one-on-one professional assistance. This program provides a good foundation for dialogue with students about their study habits and study skills at a low cost. In addition, because the program allows for modification of the recommendations section, students who prefer to are able to use the program without assistance or find solutions to their concerns on their own.

Mark May, Learning Assistance Center, Eastern Illinois University

The SBI has been quite a useful tool here at West Virginia State College. We require all of our College 101 students to take it early in the semester, and we tailor learning effectiveness workshops to each of the dimensions of the SBI. As students get their results/printouts, the appropriate workshops are referenced for skill building. The SBI is a thorough yet brief study skills assessment tool, and we have found it to be very useful with our first time students!

Wendy Powers, Student Retention, West Virginia State College

At the University of Oklahoma, the SBI is used in two different, but similar, ways. Our main use is during the Summer Enrollment Program, which is a 52 day program of orientation, parent sessions, assessment, advisement and enrollment. As part of the assessment process, the students may take placement tests for math, reading, or writing skills. If no such placement tests are needed (ACT placement is sufficient), then students are administered the SBI. The results are used as part of the advisement session to discuss strengths, weaknesses, differences in study requirements at college, and resources that will be available on campus.

During the remainder of the year SBI is available for use by First Year Experience classes, students on probation, students having grade difficulties, students under contract, and other groups at the direction of advisors or instructors to help student evaluate their skills and take concrete steps to improve.

It has proved to be a cost effective and time efficient way to have students begin to evaluate their study behaviors, and a means to give them concrete steps to take and resources to use to make changes in behaviors that need to change.

Jane Sarber, Assessment and Learning Center, University of Oklahoma

The main use of the SBI at this time is through our athlete retention program. All first year athletes take a Success in College for Athletes course. They are all processed through our assessment office to complete the SBI. The print outs are then provided and analyzed with the instructor as a classroom activity.

I would like to see the SBI included as part of our new student assessment package (CPT- Accuplacer). Then I think it would be very valuable as a "multiple measure" as required by the Chancellor's Office.

If not that, then my second choice would be that it becomes required for students filing placement and/or pre requisite appeals. It also should be required for our students on 2nd time probation.

Jim West,  Matriculation and Counseling Services,  Allan Hancock College

I administered the Study Behavior Inventory this past year to beginning nursing students who were participating in a content based study-reading course. Study behaviors were assessed with the SBI both before and after the intervention. I used the pencil and paper version which allowed me to administer the inventory to all the students at one time. This version was easy to administer and score. Students found the SBI analyses both on target and of interest. One-on-one review of these findings with student's generated valuable discussion. I plan to repeat my study-reading intervention this fall. I will administer the SBI to members of both the treatment and control group this time. I look forward to sharing my results with you.

Peg Gallagher, Nursing Department, William Rainey Harper College

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) administers the Study Behavior Inventory (SBI) ) to help students identify learning skills strengths and areas needing improvement. The results of the SBI are used to identify academic support services and other interventions that can help students to improve their learning and study strategies. The SBI is used in Psy 1730 study strategies classes, Psy 1000 College Survival, the SUCCESS Student Labs: First Year Experience program, with students in General Registration, and with students seeking individual assistance from the ARC.

The SBI is available at no cost to students. Students may take the assessment in the following Open Access

Utah State University Website
http://www.usu.edu/arc/assessment/

Student Support Services at Luther College has used the SBI for three years. All incoming participants that qualify for SSS take it. The results give us a fairly accurate picture of where they will experience academic difficulty.  The SBI enables us to be more proactive with our students in determining academic success.

Vicki Steil, Student Support Services at Luther College