From: mckinney, susan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 4:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Austin Chapter hosts Workshop, NOW: Topics re: Destruction,
etc.

I just can't stay out of this, although I know I should.

I had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Wright speak at the Twin Cities ARMA
chapter meeting this year.  Unfortunately, we ran out of time before he and
I could finish our discussion on retention policy.  I hope someone from
other presentations he does has a chance to discuss this issue with him in
more detail.

The way he presented it to us, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that
he believes that retention of electronic records, especially correspondence
and email, should be based not on the retention schedule, but on the
technological obsolence of the software and hardware.

I'm not making this up.  He is a very good speaker, and has some interesting
reasons for his ideas.  I think he is also open to having an open discussion
with records managers on this topic.

So, if this comes up again in Austin or at another ARMA chapter, question
him on this.  I think it makes an interesting discussion, and maybe we can
convince him of the error of his thinking.  He makes a compelling
case...unfortunately, he is making it to auditors, executives and others who
we may have to convince otherwise.

Fondly,
Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM