Not all attorneys are advocating Mr. Wright's position.  I think most would argue along the lines of sound records management philosophy ( a record is a record).
As for obsolesence, let's take a different view.  Technology has somewhat obviated the need for paper.  Does that mean I can destroy my paper records?  I believe it does if I convert them to the new media and retain their content.  If I cannot convert and retain then the media has not reached obsolesence.  In either event, the records must be maintained in a format which retains the content.

Doug Smith
Records Manager
Wiley Rein & Fielding LLP
1776 K Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20006
(202) 719-4455
Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily my employers.