On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:30:44 EST, Gerry Clifford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It is always prudent to choose the longest retention. Your risk level is
>minimum, and you eliminate possible litigation by the party with the longer
>retention.

Lee's problem is one that most of us face on a regular basis. Two
requirements, two different retention periods, general consensus? go with
the longer retention period. no problem

BUT lets get back to my original hyphothetical problem. (with refinements)

What if one law/regulation states that you MUST destroy a particular type of
record after x amount of time, AND another law/regulation clearly states
that you can NOT destroy that particular type of record? What is the
solution?

this is a hypothetical situation I know of no such conflict in existence
today. Could it happen? who knows

both laws/regulations must be from the same jurisdiction ie both are federal
requirements or are both state requirements (and please don't reply with "my
state doesn't have any such laws/regulations") and they must apply to the
same entity, either to a government agency/body or to a non-government
agency/body.

Think outside the box. What would be your solution?

PeterK