Don't know if this is out of the box, but here goes:

If you have two conflicting laws and operating on the notion that the
legislature considers existing laws before enacting new ones, couldn't you
look at when they were enacted and go with the most recent because it would
illustrate the legislature's most current intent?  Of course, I would think
that if failure to adhere to the earlier law results in explicit fines and
other penalties it would trump the new legislative intent if the more
recent one makes no mention of such penalties.

Carrie Fager, CRM