Peter K .cited a book by Skupsky and Montana which gave various necessary
conditions for something to be a record "from a judicial standpoint".  Now,
I am not a lawyer, but I wonder about some of this. One of the conditions
was:

> It must be made by or from information transmitted by a
> person with knowledge of the event;

So, I suppose something like an invoice or a production record, produced
automatically by a computer or a manufacturing machine is not a record?  Or
do we need to consider such hardware as being a judicial "person"?

And one of the other conditions gave me pause for thought too:

> It must be made in the course of a regularly conducted
> business activity;

So if the transaction is "irregular" it isn't a record?  Where I am (Europe)
I take "irregular" to mean things like illegal or out of the ordinary.
Wouldn't it be simple if records of illegal transactions are ruled not to be
records because they record irregular acts!  Or does "irregular" mean
something different in the US context?

Marc Fresko
EDM & ERM Consulting Services Director
Cornwell Management Consultants plc
Home Barn Court, The Street
Effingham, Surrey
KT24 5LG
United Kingdom

Tel. +44 1372 456086
Fax. +44 1372 450950
www.cornwell.co.uk

This e-mail is intentionally sent in a plain text format, for maximum
compatibility with recipients' systems and minimum virus infection risk.

As this e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information if you are
not (or suspect that you are not) the correct recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to one or more named addressees,
please telephone us immediately.  Please note that we cannot guarantee that
this message or any attachment is virus free nor that it has not been
intercepted or amended.  The views of the author may not necessarily reflect
those of the company.