Peter's suggestion is an excellent one.  And don't forget your local
hospitals - they've been doing this for years.

                      Peter Kurilecz
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      OM>                      cc:
                      Sent by: Records         Subject:  Re: Not records related - I need some advice and
                      Management                guidance
                      Program
                      UFL.EDU>

                      12/14/2002 09:08
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Records
                      Management
                      Program

In a message dated 12/14/02 9:43:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  We want to formalize our
> process for attracting, screening, placing, orienting, training, and
> retaining volunteers for the organization,

Allen, you might want to talk with folks at the various museums in your
area.
Most of them (I suspect) rely heavily on volunteers. This link will take
you
to a Smithsonian webpage that provides contact information for their
various
docent programs

http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/volunteer/docents.htm

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA