With regards to assertiveness vs humour, it is different when you speak to
varying groups or levels of staff.  It just depends on your audience, the
subject matter and the type of event you are holding.  If it is a relaxing
dress down day off site brainstorming you could inject humour, if it is an
event like IM day promoting records management it might be appropriate, but
if you want to be see as a professional and promote your program to senior
management, it may be more prudent to be serious.  In any event it appears
to be just plain old common sense.  I always try to have fun anyway, even if
it is inside.  The smile on my face always makes them wonder what I am
thinking about!  Cheers!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Business Development and Strategic Planning Division,
Information Management Directorate,
Finance and Administration Branch,
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency,
16th Floor, Albion Tower, 25 Nicolas Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5

        '       (613) 957-6621
        "       http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca