My company has recently moved from roll microfilm to PDF format for some of
our records.  Users are now able to access the PDFs through a shared network
drive.  The plan is to move the files to our intranet, when it's ready.

My concern is with the legality and reliability of this system.  As part of
our daily routine, a backup is made of the information and it's stored
offsite.  These are permanent records and, although I'm assured that PDF is
'here to stay' (anyone heard that line before?????) I have reservations
about retrieval and storage over the long-term.

Anyone have experience with such a system  --  from the user or
administrator view  --  or any comments?

Thanks a lot.