Rich -

Thank you very much - some good information.

Glad to know we're not the only ones doing this........

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Electronic Filing

> Greetings from Wonderful Wyoming,
>
> Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix. Dido on the previous posts. We are
doing a pilot project with both microfilm and imaging being accomplished at
the same time.  After a bumpy start the process seems to be working well
now.

> But to the point at hand, we chose to use TIFF4 for the images; because it
is harder to modify an image created in that format; and because TIFF4 has
been around longer.

> If your organization has committed to PDF, like Virginia stated, make sure
you have written assurance from the vendor that the files will be
converted/migrated to "PDF a" when that becomes available. Be sure to
protect your PDF files by giving them "read only" rights. That way it will
be more difficult to change the file once created.

> When you are ready to migrate, be sure to retain a machine/server that
will be able to go back to the original program the images were created in
(just incase). Keep a good backup of the original program and images.  Prior
to the migrations, make sure the backup is thoroughly tested. Finally don't
destroy the backups until a thorough review of the migrated data proves the
migration was complete and without error.

> Regards,
> My company has recently moved from roll microfilm to PDF format for some
of
> our records.  Users are now able to access the PDFs through a shared
network
> drive.  The plan is to move the files to our intranet, when it's ready.
>
> My concern is with the legality and reliability of this system.  As part
of
> our daily routine, a backup is made of the information and it's stored
> offsite.  These are permanent records and, although I'm assured that PDF
is
> 'here to stay' (anyone heard that line before?????) I have reservations
> about retrieval and storage over the long-term.
>
> Anyone have experience with such a system  --  from the user or
> administrator view  --  or any comments?
>
> Thanks a lot.

> Rich Wilson, MCP
> Electronic Records Unit Supervisor
> Wyoming State Archives
> 2301 Central Ave
> Cheyenne, WY 82002-0001
> Phone:307-777-5586  Fax:307-777-7044
>
> E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be disclosed
to third parties.