Carolyn - we use FileNET as our Electronic Document Management software,
be we do not use it as our Records Management Software. When users add
their electronic records to FileNET, they assign a department and a
records category. We use OmniRIM to manage our retention schedules and
our physical records. When we run retention reports now, we have an
integration with OmniRIM to pull the retention schedule and use it to
compare it to the files in FileNET by records category and generate the
lists of files with expired retention. No hand data entry. It has saved
us massive amounts of time (see below). The main key being making sure
that the categories in FileNET match the categories in OmniRIM.

In the past, we did not have this integration and we would generate the
FileNET retention queries via Access or SQL for the FileNET database. It
was extremely time consuming to generate the reports (i.e. about 2 weeks
to generate the reports, print them out and distribute them) and time
consuming to enter the review results (i.e. another 2-3 weeks to enter
the approvals). Then, we'd run the cleanup based on a status field that
we'd hand entered. It worked, but it was time consuming.

Please email me if you would like to set up a time to chat about this
further.

Laurie Carpenter, CRM
RIM Program Manager
ICOS Corp