Dear List-Members

I have problem which many of you must have experienced and wonder what
could be done it. I have gathered census and network data on a
Jain monastic order in India. It will not come as a surprise to you that I
encountered difficulties with the response rate particularly with regard
to the network data. Because the network data are incomplete I am worried
that they are in effect completely useless?

Of some 800 mendicants about 500 returned the questionnaire about 250 or
less correctly (!) ticked two basic network questions (of 10). There are
three basic categories of mendicants but no category produced more than
50% useful data.

On the basis of your previous experience, do you think an analysis makes
sense at all? The data are in UCINET format but does it make sense
to compute correlations with ca 50% incomplete data? Do you know
comparable studies who faced similar difficulties?

yours sincerely

Dr Peter Fluegel
Department of the Study of Religions
Faculty of Arts and Humanities