I'm a doctoral student, just starting to define my dissertation topic.
I'm interested in exploring the characteristics of social networks in
R&D organizations which facilitate knowledge-sharing and hence
innovation.  I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some
useful literature in two areas:

1.  Studies that have been done to characterize social networks in
commercial R&D (e.g., pharmaceutical or high tech R&D organizations).

2.  Literature which highlights some of the important problems
associated with knowledge-sharing in R&D.  I'd like to explore whether
social network analysis can provide insights on how to address these
types of problems.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Jean Singer