We had a parallel issue in some analyses we did of drug injectors' risk
networks.  As a sensitivity analysis, we  looked at how our results
differed if we subtracted nodes in accord with different criteria.  When
we subtracted the first set of subjects we had recruited (who included a
number of very high indegree and centrality), the network changed a lot.
 See Friedman et al, Amer J of Public Health, 1997.

best
sam

Sam Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes
71 West 23d Street, 8th floor
New York, NY 10010
USA
1 212 845 4467
Fax 1 917 438 0894
>>> Matthew Dombroski <[log in to unmask]> 12/21/02 22:07 PM >>>

Hello,
I am a graduate student studying the stability of social network
structure.
I'm curious to know if there are any references that relate individual
measures of centrality (betweenness, degree, closeness, etc.) to the
overall stability of a social network.

For example, the person with the highest betweenness centrality is
located
on the most geodesics between other people in the network. If that
person
were removed from the network, what effects would that have on average
path
length of the network, connectedness, reachability, etc. Does anyone
know
if any references exist on examples such as this one? Thanks, Matt

Matthew J. Dombroski, PhD Student

Carnegie Mellon Univerisity
Dept. of Engineering and Public Policy
Computational Analysis of Social and