Nice definition, David.

I think I invented the term in the paper I mentioned, but without David's
elegant definition.

We used it in the East York study to see if support relationships varied
by being just a dyad or as part of a larger net.

However, I can easily stand to be corrected on inital authorship. It might
have come from Harrison White's lectures at Harvard in the mid 1960s.

One term I do claim authorship for is "network of networks." Actually
"we." Paul Craven and I invented it for our "The Network City" paper in
1973, and now it is all over internet discourse.

 Phrase-Making Barry