You could back it up even earlier to 1908: Georg Simmel _The web of group
affiliations_

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis Krebs [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 10:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Erroneous facts / NyT article on social networks

I often hear from clients, "Wow, you are working on really cool new stuff."
I then tell them that what I am working on is actually older than me -- I'm
standing on the shoulders of giants.

I tell them that SNA started in the 1930s with Moreno's sociograms and then
accelerated in the 1960s with mainframe computers, kept gathering steam with
new research and algorithms in the 1970s and more powerful personal
computers/software in the 1980s, became an accepted consulting tool in the
1990s, and really became popular in the last 5 years as the Internet crowd
and other sciences started paying attention to connectivity, clusters,
embeddedness, emergence, etc. -- the social structure of human behavior.

Valdis

---- Steve Borgatti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Weren't there a pair of Boorman pieces on social networks in the Times
many
> years ago, long before the physicists noticed networks? And something on
> Moreno a few decades before?
>
> Although, if memory serves (which means it mostly doesn't), those early
> articles had something vaguely disturbing in common with the current
> physicist-inspired ones -- an arrogant new- science-of-everything sort of
> flavor.
>
> Maybe somebody can give the references and I can see if I'm making it all
up

> steve.

makes