It would be great if we could have some historical links to Alvin Wolfe's
article and/or Barry Wellman's (or others) on the INSNA web site for
scholars to point reporters to.  Having been a newspaper reporter, though,
I can tell you that their attention span is about 1.2 seconds. The time
constraints are just tremendous, so reporters are very reliant on sources
to handfeed them brief background information, and sources need to be
vigilant in providing them (and asking if they read them).  Most newspapers
will allow reporters to read back direct quotations, so scholars should at
a minimum ask (nicely) that this be done -- you can learn a lot about the
direction of the article from how they quote you.

That having been said, reporters are always hunting "the next big thing"
and may not even write the article in the first place if you do such a good
job pointing out your predecessors that your work takes on a warmed over
quality.