Are they strategies or consequences? I've noticed a "regressive"
pattern of behavior in corporations during layoffs, "downsizing," and
major changes (I haven't charted the networks, this is more of a
clinical observation). I find that people stick to more conservative
patterns--spend less money, make less radical decisions, work the
hierarchy more carefully, take fewer chances. I wonder if there's a
relationship?

Patricia Sachs

At 12:12 PM -0600 1/29/03, Doug Bryan wrote:

>What was the nature of the lost ties; e.g., weak ties lost first?  Has
>anyone done work on strategies for shrinking nets?
>
>Doug Bryan
>http://pavg.stanford.edu/people/bryan
>
>>  Catherine Johnson wrote,
>>
>>  Also check out:
>>  Beate Volker, "Should auld acquaintance be forgot...?: Institutions
>>  of Communism, the Transition to Capitalism and Personal
>>  Networks: The Case of East Germany", Amsterdam Thesis
>>  Publishers, 1995.
>>
>>  She found that in former East Germany personal networks shrunk
>>  somewhat during transition.

SOCIAL SOLUTIONS
Work Systems Innovation & Design
Patricia Sachs, PhD
Founder/CEO
427 Casa del Mar Drive, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019

http://www.social-solutions.com
650.712.0555
650.712.1557  fax
650.255.2057 cell