New?  Amusing.  My favorite transparent load-balancing system for
balancing processes on a computing cluster, MOSIX (or OpenMOSIX), has
used this approach (probe a few neighbors plus a random assortment)
for many years for deciding how to spread the load efficiently
(efficient diffusion of tasks).  The book on it (MOSIX) was written in
1993...

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini                            Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics          [log in to unmask]