Kate

Date sent:              Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:45:34 -0500
From:                   Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     Beatte Volker <[log in to unmask]>,
        Catherine Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Copies to:              social networks list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: transition and personal networks

Cate and Beate,
This raises an interesting research question:
Do networks shrink and rise in step with the economy?

Bigger GNP > bigger nets
Biggern nets > Bigger GDP
?

 Barry

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Catherine Johnson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:19:27 -0500
> From: Catherine Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: transition and personal networks

> Also check out:
> Beate Volker, "Should auld acquaintance be forgot...?: Institutions
> of Communism, the Transition to Capitalism and Personal
> Networks: The Case of East Germany", Amsterdam Thesis
> Publishers, 1995.
>
> She found that in former East Germany personal networks shrunk
> somewhat during transition.
>
> Kate
>

> Date sent:              Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:00:51 -0500
> Send reply to:          Emmanuel Koku <[log in to unmask]>
> From:                   Emmanuel Koku <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:                Re: transition and personal networks
> To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Hi,
> HI,
>
> Check out Endre Sik (with Hungarian data)  & Vicente Espinoza's (with Latin American data) articl
es in Barry Wellman's book: Networks in the Global Village (Boulder, CO: Westview Press)

> In addition, research from the development literature (especially, those relating to responses to
 IMF/World Bank's structural adjustment policies) show how networks can be used to gain access to s
carce but neccessary resources (food, shelter and clothing).  I don't have references right on hand
,