This entails both a mundane empirical observation, and an important
theoretical claim. The observation is that people have relationships
with one another, and that these relationships are constituted by
feelings of obligation and entitlement and by recurring encounters. The
theoretical claim is that these relationships are important for
individual-level outcomes, and that, further, it is the structure of
these relations -- rather than, say, their mere quantity -- that is
important. Thus, structural embeddedness refers to the patterns of
relationships in which people (and actors at other levels) are
recurringly involved, where these patterns are consequential for
outcomes by virtue of mechanisms of information flow, social influence,
social comparison, material exchange, social-support provision or
deprivation, and other mechanisms.

Van den Bulte, Christophe wrote:

>I am looking for a definition of structural embeddedness, either
>home-made or taken from a previous publication. I already have
>Granovetter's 1992 paper on "Problems of Explanation in Economic
>Sociology."
>
>Christophe Van den Bulte
>The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania

David Gibson
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology
Harvard University