I often hear from clients, "Wow, you are working on really cool new stuff."  I then tell them that what I am working on is actually older than me -- I'm standing on the shoulders of giants.

I tell them that SNA started in the 1930s with Moreno's sociograms and then accelerated in the 1960s with mainframe computers, kept gathering steam with new research and algorithms in the 1970s and more powerful personal computers/software in the 1980s, became an accepted consulting tool in the 1990s, and really became popular in the last 5 years as the Internet crowd and other sciences started paying attention to connectivity, clusters, embeddedness, emergence, etc. -- the social structure of human behavior.

Valdis