Dr. Freeman can speak for himself, of course, but since he hadn't yet, I
thought I would mention his article in Connections 19(1):39-42  Some
Antecedents of Social Network Analysis.   In it, he describes 6 articles
from 1993 or earlier that focus on the social groupings of children.
 His last two sentences are worth quoting:

"But those of us who come from the sociometric tradition seem to be
pretty much unaware of this parallel line of work; at least we seldom
cite psychologists working in this tradition.  The unfortunate
consequence of this ignorance is that we have had to re-invent many of
the ideas and tools that had already been introduced and adopted in
developmental and educational psychology."

Not to gainsay Dr. Freeman, I just wanted to offer the opinion that
periodic reinventing of the wheel is one of the most important things we
can do.  You just have to remember where you left the last one.

Rich Rothenberg

Phillip Bonacich wrote:

>I agree with the injustice that old and current work in social networks
>is being ignored.  However, this may be the cost we pay for joining a
>larger intellectual community - literature written in our local dialect
>is forgotten.  The benefit to us is that there is a great deal of
>interest in our field.  Let's take advantage of the opportunities.
>
>Phillip Bonacich
>Department of Sociology
>University of California
>Los Angeles, CA 90095
>(310) 825-3017

Richard Rothenberg, MD
Professor
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
69 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive  SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
email: [log in to unmask]