A client recently asked me, "What type of networks do you run into in organizations?  Scale-free or Small-world?"  I did an informal browse of about 20 data sets from biz orgs and found many occurrences of a third pattern -- core-periphery!!  [C/P model as described by Borgatti & Everett] So guys, where is YOUR book?

Both S-W and C/P have similar metrics -- short path lengths and high clustering.  Big difference is one[C/P] vs. many[S-W] clusters.  A more complete investigation would be interesting... how many data sets from how many situations would be sufficient?  Sounds like a good thesis topic.

Valdis