Also worth noting is a nice paper by (again) Derek de Solla Price in
which he constructs and solves, for the first time as far as I know, a
mathematical model of a growing network with a power-law degree
distribution, using ideas taken from Simon's work.  (I don't think Simon
ever applied his ideas directly to network growth.)

  D. J. de Solla Price, "A general theory of bibliometric and other
cumulative advantage processes", J. Amer. Soc. Inform. Sci. 27, 292-306
(1976).

Price was interested in citation networks, but his model is very similar
to the models that physicists have been discussing in the last couple of
years.

Mark Newman.

--On Tuesday, January 28, 2003 6:06 PM -0600 Doug Bryan