Dear Olga,

There is already quite much work on social networks in
transition societies and particularly in Russia. Though most of
the literature is not directly related to job search, they stress
the importance of personal/social networks in USSR and post-
Soviet Russia. The following list is by no means complete:

1. You must be aware of Alena Ledeneva’s book ‘Russia’s
economy of favours. Blat, networking and informal Exchange’
(Cambridge University Press, 1998).

2. See also Ledeneva’s, Gerald Easter’s and others’ fresh
articles in Klaus Segbers (ed.) ‘Explaining Post-Soviet
Patchworks, Volume 2. Pathways form the past to the
global.’ (Ashgate 2001 – see also the two other volumes of
the series)

3. Check out Barry Wellman’s and Endre Sik’s article in
’Networks in the global village’ (Westview Press, 1999)

4. I have myself studied the personal networks in Russia for
quite a while. See for instance my dissertation: Lonkila,
Markku (1999): Social Networks in Post-Soviet Russia.
Continuity and Change in the Everyday Life of St. Petersburg
Teachers Helsinki:Kikimora Publications. The introduction
and methodological appendix of the dissertation are accessible
through internet:
({ HYPERLINK "http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/val/sosio/vk/lonkila/" }http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/val/sosio/vk/lonkila/

One of the articles of the dissertation is also available online,
see:

Lonkila, Markku (1997): ‘Informal Exchange Relations in
Post-Soviet Russia: A Comparative Perspective’. Sociological
Research Online, vol. 2, no. 2. (The article is accessible
through internet at:
{ HYPERLINK "http://www.socresonline.org.uk/socresonline/2/2/9.html" }http://www.socresonline.org.uk/socresonline/2/2/9.html)

You could also check out the bibliography of another of my
article: Lonkila, Markku: ‘Russia: A Society of Networks?’ In
Markku Kangaspuro (ed.) Russia: More different than most.
Helsinki: Kikimora publications, 2000. There you’ll find
references to the works by Valeri Yakubovich, Richard Rose
etc. prior to 2000.

For more info on my work, see:

{ HYPERLINK "http://www.valt.helsinki.fi/staff/lonkila/pub.htm" }http://www.valt.helsinki.fi/staff/lonkila/pub.htm

Best wishes,