In a message dated 1/30/2003 7:00:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> - with the proliferation of SMEs -
> has this structural change meant a redistribution
> of profits from larger public corporations
> to privately owned firms (who are leaner,
> more flexible, and so on, ...).
> Are we at a tipping point in the evolution
> of Capitalism?
>
> Thoughts?

This is in line with the argument in Giovanni Arrighi's Long Twentieth Century that capitalism alternates (back to the thirteenth century, at least) between public, bureaucratic forms (mercantile companies, publicly owned corporations) and private, familial forms. He puts a lot of significance on the rise of Chinese diasporic, networked capitalism.

 Worth throwing into the mix is the tremendous increase in the reach of small sellers through things like Ebay and Amazon Marketplace.

Steven Sherman