Fellow listservers, this is a long message and I apologize!
At The Community College of Baltimore County, we implemented an Early Alert
& Intervention Program a year ago this spring. IT is a pretty intense
program that includes a specially designed program in ACCESS that interacts
with our student information system (BANNER). We have had some minor
problems, mainly technical, but are very excited about the program and what
we hope it will do for our students. The following is a synopsis of our
program.

We originally used the N-L Student Satisfaction Survey (spring2000)  to
obtain the results we felt we needed to really put together a worthy
retention plan. The students indicated, strongly, that they felt they were
not aware early enough of their progress or lack of.  Even though we tell
students they are ultimately responsible for their learning (which includes
learning about their progress!), we decided to create an Early Alert &
Intervention program.
During the fall '01 semester, a number of folks across the college (we are a
3 campus system) met as small groups to discuss the ins and outs of such a
program. Best practices were collected from other schools (not too many) and
we used these ideas as a template for our own.  I was ready to implement the
program this fall but the administration wanted to do a pilot of the program
in spring '02! That gave us 6 weeks, or so, to pull together volunteer
faculty, administration and support staff to create the following:
* An Early Alert Roster
* The Early Alert Access Database
* Paperwork needed to maintain contact
* Designate separate campus coordinators
* Obtain volunteer faculty
* Train faculty

Well, we did it and it went off with minimal problems. I must say I am
working with some awesome people!
Basically, our Early Alert & Intervention Program consists of the following
steps:
1.      Faculty are recruited by each campus coordinator to participate
using at least one section of the courses they teach.
2.      Faculty provide to their campus coordinator the specific course
registration number (CRN) to be entered into our database.
3.      By the end of the 3rd week, the Early Alert Rosters are sent to the
faculty members by the campus coordinators. The faculty complete the rosters
by selecting whether the students are unsatisfactory, satisfactory or non
applicable for 3 areas: Attendance, Graded Assignments and Homework. The
faculty have been given the discretion of deciding how to interpret the
graded assignments and homework.
4.      The rosters are returned to Records & Registration where the
information is entered into the student information system (BANNER). This
information is then transferred into the database.
5.      At this point, faculty are expected to contact those students who
they felt were unsatisfactory in one or more of the three categories on the
roster.  They are to make a face to face contact if possible. If they cannot
make a face to face contact the database has a series of options for contact
(email, phone, letter, etc).
6.      Faculty enter their contact info into the database for each student
they contact. The database has the names of those students who received U's
in their courses and the faculty member by logging into the database can
access their course only. The database is a series of pull-down menus that
the faculty can select the type of contact, the referrals they may make to
the student depending on the problem discussed and it has room for typed
comments..
7.      The campus coordinators can generate 2 reports from the database
early on that indicate which students have a U in one class only and a
report that indicates if they are receiving a U in more than one class. The
second report is sent to the counseling/advising center. This helps track
these students who will probably be referred to this area. The campus
coordinator will work closely with the campus resources that may be of
importance for the students to insure they "get there."
8.      At the end of the 5th  week, a letter written by our Dean's of
Learning & Student Development are mailed to the students in the database.
This letter indicates that they want to extend their support in the students
academic success. (This letter generated a lot of responses by the
students).
9.      Faculty are expected to maintain contact with the students during
the semester and continue to enter contact info into the database.
10.     At the end of the semester, faculty complete a survey that requests
information regarding their participation in the program.
11.     Students complete a survey as well at the end of the semester that
asks for information regarding their perceptions about the course, the
faculty, the resources and their progress.

Overall, the program went well considering the timeline we were up against.
We are moving forward this semester with more faculty and a focus on
developmental courses.
My number here is (410) 285-9455 if you have any other questions. I hope I
did not leave anything out!
Karyn Schulz
Coordinator of Learning Assistance
Title 3