Hi all,

Having been to Tosohatchee a few times in the last week, I would add a few
remarks to Herman's notes.

We have been finding mixed flocks of wintering songbirds along St. Nicolas
Road north of Powerline Road.  Usually we can find both Chickadee and
titmouse along with kinglets, Pine warblers, gnatcatchers, etc.  There are
occasionally nuthatches and Hairy woodpeckers as well.  At the north end of
the vehicle access to St. Nicolas, you can park and walk further to a nice
swamp.  I have found Louisiana waterthrush here.  It could be good for other
migrants as well.  A pair of bluebirds is almost always present along
Powerline Rd. about 0.9 miles east of St. Nicholas Road.  Along Beehead Road
(the entrance road) there is a small clump of oaks before you come to St.
Nicolas.  Hairy woodpecker and Bachman's sparrow have been regularly found
west of the oaks.

If you want to do some birding before the reserve opens (officially at 0800)
there is a good spot on Taylor Creek Road just north of the entrance.  Drive
north across the single lane bridge (crossing Taylor Creek) and park under
the powerlines.  Check the cleared areas for turkeys, etc.  Walking back to
the swamp, you may find various migrant or wintering songbirds.  Black and
white warbler and Hermit thrush have been there lately.  A week ago, there
were literally hundreds of goldfinches feeding on the seeds of the maples.
I suspect that Acadian flycatcher or Prothonotary warbler may be found here
in the summer.

Birding at this site is best in the early morning or late afternoon.  Hot or
windy days can be pretty dead.

David Simpson