Hi all,

Maury Peterson & I did a 13 hour birding venture through south central
Florida on Saturday 3/15. We basicly birded from Kissimmee south through
Osceola , Okeechobee, Glades, and Highland Counties. The bestsightings were a
light morph Short-tailed Hawk at the US 27 bridge over Fisheating Creek in
Palmdale, 200 White Pelicans crammed into a small pond on a ranch in
Okeechobee County about 10 miles east of Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State
park, 5 Burrowing Owls in the field at Lorida where they have been for years,
Whooping Cranes at their usual spot on Canoe Creek, lots of Turkeys and
Caracaras in Osceola County along Canoe Creek and Joe Overstreet Roads, many
singing Bachman's Sparrows at Three Lakes, numerous Swallow-tailed Kites at
Palmdale and near Venus & Archbold Station in Highlands County, and Purple
Gallinule at the park on East Lake Toho in St. Cloud.
A big miss was Snail Kites which in recent years has been regular on East
Lake Toho, Whaley's Landing on Lake Toho, and at Joe Overstreet Fish Camp.
Wes Biggs had told me in advance that he hasn't seen any from shore in quite
awhile. Water levels were much higher than normal at all of the mentioned
locations as was human activity. I will be doing the same route next Saturday
with a bus load of Auduboners.
Good birding to all,

Dave Goodwin
St. Petersburg, FL