From: David and Carrie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Corkscrew Swamp

My wife and I just returned from a trip to visit our folks in
Naples, FL. We saw lots of beautiful birds, we saw Bald Eagles
outfishing Frigatebirds, (and getting away with it), and a Bard Owl
pair preening each other. However, our best bird of the trip may
have been the female Ruby-throated Hummingbird that we saw at
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. Amongst the Kites, Storks, Hawks, and a
smattering of passerines, we observed this little female make three
trips to a plant alongside the boardwalk. She would collect the
cottony ends from the seeds that were just bursting from the plants
little pods. She would collect as many of the little feathery wisps
as she could carry, and race off into the swamp with what looked
like a little cotton ball at the end of her bill. Then she would
return for another load. We assumed that she was lining the interior
of her nest. We thought that was very cool, in light of the fact
that none of our bird books showed the RTHU breeding that far south.
It just backs up everything Jeff has told me, about taking the books
with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately we could not find anyone working at Corkscrew that was
interested, much less participating in a bird breeding atlas. I am
sure that right now, they have their hands full with the 800 nesting
pairs of Woodstorks that they have at the north end of the preserve.

David Dortch
Fairhope AL

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars
for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/70TolB/TM

This list is sponsored by the Alabama
Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community.  AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group.  Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the OneList list service.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---