Hi Folks:
       The key words for the day were chill and wind. A Florida chill is a
nice day in most states, but people were hunkering down in S Florida. I have
never seen the parking lot at Lox Rd. more empty. Needless to say I was out
there birding away, in hopes that the cold front might have stalled some
long-distance migraters and leave an offering of birds in the wake. Forget
it. Slow for migraters, but with the covering of such a large area, I managed
a pretty decent day. In fact, I am reporting it because it appears to be a
pretty good baseline of local birds, minus a few obvious holes, but a good
one to measure the progression of spring by in my general area. I was not
trying for a century day, and I did not get one, but I was suprised to get 90
plus birds at the end of the day. Good birding.

Trade Winds-Coconut Creek

DC Comorant
Brown Pelican
Anhinga
Limpkin
C Egret
Great Egret
Little Blue Heron
Green Heron
Tri-colored Heron
White Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Sharp Shinned Hawk
Coopers Hawk (migrant)
Red-shouldered Hawk
Kestrel
Osprey
Common Moorhen
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Least Tern (just showed atTW)
Foresters Tern
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Eurasion Collared Dove
White-winged Dove
Weaver Finch
Mockingbird
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Tree Swallow
Purple Martin (not a winter species)
Blue Jay
Spot-breasted Oriole
Fish Crow
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Common Grackle
Boat-taled Grackle
Redwing Blackbird
Gray Catbird
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Parula
Loggerhead Shrike
Northern Cardinal
Ring-billed Gull
Laughing Gull
House Wren
Black-crowned Night Heron
Mottled Duck
Muscovy Duck (feral)
Mallard (feral)
Monk Parakeet
Loggerhead Shrike
Blue Headed Vireo
White Eyed Vireo
Brown Thrasher
Northern Waterthrush (migrant)
*To get a list like this at Tradewinds you need to come in early with the
maintenance crew. I just ask for permission and have yet to be denied. You
bird the N-side and the S-side.

Lox Road (PB County)

Marsh Wren (heard)
Smooth Billed Ani* Have been irregular during the nesting season
Painted Bunting
Snail Kite
American Coot
Wood Stork