From: Kathie Preston
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLBIRDS] Gannets

As was the case a week ago, today my husband and daughter found several
hundred Northern Gannets just offshore at the Moorings beach in Vero Beach.
It's not uncommon in winter for us to see a few diving for fish far offshore,
just barely visible by eye.  Today most of the birds were resting on the
water within a few hundred feet of shore.  All ages were represented.  Those
that were fishing were diving near shore, even in the fairly light surf.
Isn't it unusual to see so many Gannets -- hundreds, that is -- and so close?
We also saw four adult Gannets swimming in the Indian River Lagoon just
inside Sebastian Inlet.  Isn't that also unusual?