Ms. Jones makes some good points on my original question in regard to the
focus of records retention efforts.  But I am still left with a public
policy question -- why is consistant records retention important?  What
would be the consequences of a world in which we have inconsistant
retention?  If inconsistant retention practices support organizational
business models why is this a problem.  And finally in the US federal
government what is so magical about a 72 or 75 month retention for financial
records.  What would happen if we reduced the retention on all financial
records to 48 months?

What if we discover that our document review costs are greater than our
records storage costs?  Would that mean we need to abandon retention
schedule process, streamline it, or simply accept that not all processes and
decisions should be dictated by financial considerations

Dave Gaynon, CRM