> >I am trying to gather information on how Records Management Professionals
> >are approaching Instant Messaging within their organizations.
>
>I have a couple of stories in the upcoming RAIN posting that discuss IM,
>but records managers should also be aware of another information nightmare
>coming down the pike...
>
>BLOGGING
>it appears that organizations are beginning to use weblogs more and more
>as a management tool.
>
>Take it away Larry!

Well, thank you PeterK...  =)

Yes, there are major concerns related to the use and management of Instant
Messaging, Blogging and other transitory forms of communication (palm
pilots, hand held PCs, text message pagers, text messaging on cellular
phones).  The biggest problem I see is who makes the determination if the
information contained in the communication constitutes "record" or not, and
how is it classified and categorized for retention.   This is completely
left up to the individual that generates the communication (or the
recipient)... the only option is to relegate it to some auto-classification
software, and as we all know even the "intelligent systems" that learn how
to do classification as they go along, 50-65% is about the best they do.

How are RMs approaching it?  I'm afraid the best most of us are able to do
is raise a concern relative to the issue to our management, and to provide
some guidance as to what would be required to manage it consistent with the
existing retention policies of the organization and reminding them that
records are records, regardless of form, format or media.   And again, this
does not mean that ALL INFORMATION IS RECORD, the same decision making
process needs to be applied to these "new forms" of information that have
always been applied... but once it's determined it IS RECORD, then it needs
to be managed and retained accordingly.

If you're in the finance, stock, securities or other investment
industries... this is VERY critical to you.  Sarbanes Oxley will likely NOT
be going away soon... if you've made the conscious decision to conduct
business using these forms of communication, you need to ensure you have
taken into account the requirement to manage it as well.

Larry

Larry Medina
..not all information is created equal !!

LLNL Records and Archives Group
B-411, Room 1305   2-7628