Judy,

    No apology necessary.  I think you've touched on a topic that might
be of interest to a lot of us.  ARIMS may be a prototype of what
recordkeeping tools and retention guidance in a lot of agencies might
look like as the NARA redesign initiative goes forward.  I was at the
last BRIDG meeting where the initiative was discussed at length and I
saw no evidence that it is likely to proceed in any other manner other
than as articulated in the recordkeeping redesign document that was
posted last summer
(http://www.archives.gov/records_management/pdf/rm_redesign.pdf).  Key
issues in that document deal with identifying records that have bona
fide and demonstrable integrity as defined in ISO 15489 -- that are
complete, authentic, reliable, and available for as long as an
evaluation of risk factors faced by an agency might require.  I have the
impression that this is a carefully researched and thoughtful initiative
that is based on technical, administrative, and financial issues common
to most agencies.  NARA also employs some CRMs who I think are smart and
experienced.  But your exchange with Bob is the first I've seen that
speak to day-to-day issues that concern recordkeepers and program
administrators.   So I think any additional comment you or others
affected by ARIMS might offer would be helpful.

Dean Bundy, CRM
Naval Research Lab