There's a whole literature on uses of electronic communication in
education which Barry Wellman and Carolyn Haythornthwaite, among others,
have contributed to.  The literature review and content of the following
article which considered professional socialization might be useful:

(While I didn't use network analysis as a methodology in this particular
piece of research, it was certainly foundational in my thinking about the
subject.)

Weedman, Judith.  Conversation and community:  The potential of electronic
conferences for creating intellectual proximity in distributed learning
environments.  JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE 50,
p. 907-928.

And also --
Weedman, Judith (1998). Burglar's tools: The use of collaborative
technology in professional socialization. In Wildemuth,
Barbara (Ed.), Collaboration Across Boundaries: Theories, Strategies, and
Technology: Proceedings of the Midyear Meeting of the American Society for
Information  Science. Medford, NJ: Learned Information (p. 135-145).
or -- http://www.asis.org/Conferences/MY98/Weedman.htm