***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ ***** If you search Bourdieu and Passeron's REPRODUCTION on Amazon, you get referred to five of his other books! Bourdieu wouldn't be surprised by Valdis's findings, but he would likely favor the alternate hypothesis to explain them.. < Customers who bought this book also bought: The Field of Cultural Production by Pierre Bourdieu, et al (Paperback) Outline of a Theory of Practice by Pierre Bourdieu (Author), Richard Nice (Translator) (Paperback) Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste by Pierre Bourdieu, Richard Nice (Translator) (Paperback) Practical Reason: On the Theory of Action by Pierre Bourdieu, Randal Johnson (Translator) (Paperback) Language and Symbolic Power by Pierre Bourdieu, John B. Thompson (Editor) (Paperback) < Gavin At 09:35 AM 3/6/03 -0700, Steven Corman wrote: >>>> steve b says: >Steve gives a path-dependent kind of explanation where any tendency toward factions at the beginning tends to amplify, but would that imply that feedback always leads to factions, since every group probably contains such proto-splits? This is an interesting question. I'd say no because the buddy system could work to bridge the splits. Instead of giving you a "buddy" recommendation for a book someone else like you read, it could give you a "stranger" recommendation for a book with a similar subject tha somebody *unlike* you read (that would be a challenge for sure because they would need to have some ongoing analysis like Valdis's and keep track of the cliques). The current system isn't providing neutral feedback, they're appealing to our social identities to persuade us to buy more books. The "stranger" system would probably never happen because what would they do if they completely broke down the buddy structure? Give random book recommendations? Polarization leading to a highly structured buddy network is in Amazon's interests, and their technical system promotes it. Geez, look at me! I'm starting to sound like a critical theorist. I'd better go read a stats book to get these ideas our of my head before I start quoting Foucault or something... Steve (c) ------------------------------------------------- Gavin W. Hougham, M.A., Ph.D. (cand.) The University of Chicago Research Director, Department of Medicine/Section of Geriatrics, and Adjunct Instructor, Graduate School of Social Service Administration 5841 S. Maryland Ave. (MC 6098) Chicago, IL 60637 (773) 702-6735 office (773) 702-3538 fax [log in to unmask] http://www.geocities.com/ghougham/gwh_cv.html ------------------------------------------------- _____________________________________________________________________ SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social network researchers (http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/). To unsubscribe, send an email message to [log in to unmask] containing the line UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.