I agree with the implication in previous messages that the
previous discussion of the anti-war movement was entirely appropriate and
professional. I think it is a crying shame if anybody bombarded anybody
with messages objecting to discussion of the anti-war movement and the
political context of the movement. In fact, I am most disturbed by the
possibility that some people might feel intimidated that there would be
adverse effects on their career to continue discussing these matters.
This has the appearance of "apolitical correctness", or repression of
politics which I believe is most undemocratic and hostile to the
scientific enterprise.
        Let me be more specific. There was a communication theorist, whose
name escapes me (Noelle-Newman?), who wrote about the phenomenon in Nazi
Germany of "pluralistic ignorance". When people are living in an
atmosphere where discussion of the political aspects of social life is
treated as "dangerous" they tend to underestimate the pluralism of
opinions (number of people who disagree with the official government or
big media "line"). When people are thus isolated, the opinions and
knowledge they have accumulated from previous experience are more
susceptible to being overpowered by the "official story". If people are
not watching the network news in isolation, however, independent thought
and analysis has a better chance of flourishing.
        Social network analysis is seen by many social scientists as being
excessively solopsistic(sp?) sophistry. Regardless of individual opinions
regarding current global events (which, from what I've read have only been
shared in the most professional way) I think most would agree that
intellectual freedom is at greatest risk in times of war. To leave
unchallenged any suggestion that discussion of the political aspects of
networks is inappropriate, is not only bad science, but could be starting
down a slippery slope where science serves only central power as it has in many
totalitarian societies.
        The "Honk for Peace" events that have been taking place in many
societies are another empirical example of how "pluralistic ignorance" can
be broken down. I've observed that for protesters "the first honk is
always
the hardest", but that once the first motorist honks in response to a
"honk for peace" sign, many more typically follow. Motorists are also more
likely to honk when the traffic begins moving. Perhaps because they fear
verbal abuse or dirty looks from neighboring motorists, or being
identified as "unpatriotic". Thus when they are less connected, more
isolated from others, they feel safer expressing their dissent against the
war When a whole wave begins where the majority of motorists honk, many
motorists have looks of outright elation or psychological liberation on
their faces. Of course this latter statement is only my own
interpretation, but I expect it would be backed up if interview data were
collected. This has implications for the veracity of polling data and the
importance of social networks involving outspoken dissidents.

-Roger Ehrlich