Folks,

Didn't we go over much of this terrain (politics and ethics on the list)
right after 911, when we had a discussion about the responsibilities of
academics in any govt effort to put the SNA squeeze on terrorists?  And
didn't we discuss Valdis's work on book buying patterns at Amazon where he
demonstrated how our information sources tend to bifurcate along our major
political axis and which tended to foster ignorance of other viewpoints?  I
agree with Carter and others who would NOT divorce ourselves from what is
happening on our respective doorsteps (or our neighbors' doorsteps).

(btw, I would add to his list of coll action cites the work of the late
Roger Gould on the Paris Commune... ).

Gavin Hougham
U of Chicago