I am moved by the subject "Networks in the current global situation" to
recall to your attention a couple of works from a quarter-century ago that
are relevant to the questions Ainhoa de Federico raises now.  One is a paper
in World Issues entitled "The Basic Paradigm of a Future Socio-Cultural
System," by anthropologist Virginia Hine.  Another is my own article, "The
Supranational Organization of Production: An Evolutionary Perspective,"
which Hine referred to as having provided insight into the true nature of
the emergent supranational level of social organization that she and Luther
Gerlach were studying.  Hines' paper is in World Issues (Center for the
Study of Democratic Institutions, UCSB) 1977, April/May issue, pp 19-22.
Mine is in Current Anthropology, Volume 18 No. 4 (Dec, 1977), 615-635.
Although neither Hine nor I used formal network analysis, both depend
heavily on the network perspective.

Hine was reporting on studies of worldwide movements to effect social
structural change.  With Luther Gerlach, she had found these movements have
a structural form that they  came to refer to as a SP(I)N, for "Segmented
Polycephalous (Idea) Network."  "An organizational chart of a SP(I)N would
look like a badly knotted fishnet with a multitude of nodes or cells of
varying sizes, each linked to all the others either directly or indirectly.
Some of those cells within the network would in themselves be hierarchically
organized bureaucracies recognized by the public as regional, national, or
even international organizations"(p.19).

 My own article argues that we are at a critical point in an evolutionary
generative process by which a new system at a hierarchically superior level
comes into existence.  It involves ". . . previously existing units and
subunits changing their relations with one another and changing their
internal structure gradually until, at some point, all the internal and
external relations are different enough that the new interdependency is
recognized as a system at a higher level of integration.  One of the factors
triggering the coalescence of a system at the supranational level now is
certainly the capability for instantaneous worldwide communication and the
processing of myriad bits of information that previously would have taken
months or could not have been done at all"(p.633).

My article is available through JSTOR.  The JSTOR address, if it helps, is:

 http://www.jstor.org/journals/00113204.html
<http://www.jstor.org/journals/00113204.html>

I couldn't find Hine's article on the web, but I have it as:
http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/HineVH1977.pdf
<http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/HineVH1977.pdf>

More recently, I wrote on Anthropological Contributions to Conflict
Resolution in 1996:

http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/wolfe1996.htm
<http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/wolfe1996.htm>

and then a piece in the Anthropology Newsletter in 2001:

http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/wolfe2001.htm
<http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/wolfe2001.htm>

but I think homo sapiens would be better served to take the long,
evolutionary view, instead of focusing entirely on current events.

--Alvin Wolfe