I am moved by the subject "Networks in the current global situation" to recall to your attention a couple of works from a quarter-century ago that are relevant to the questions Ainhoa de Federico raises now.  One is a paper in World Issues entitled "The Basic Paradigm of a Future Socio-Cultural System," by anthropologist Virginia Hine.  Another is my own article, "The Supranational Organization of Production: An Evolutionary Perspective," which Hine referred to as having provided insight into the true nature of the emergent supranational level of social organization that she and Luther Gerlach were studying.  Hines' paper is in World Issues (Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions, UCSB) 1977, April/May issue, pp 19-22.  Mine is in Current Anthropology, Volume 18 No. 4 (Dec, 1977), 615-635.  Although neither Hine nor I used formal network analysis, both depend heavily on the network perspective.

Hine was reporting on studies of worldwide movements to effect social structural change.  With Luther Gerlach, she had found these movements have a structural form that they  came to refer to as a SP(I)N, for "Segmented Polycephalous (Idea) Network."  "An organizational chart of a SP(I)N would look like a badly knotted fishnet with a multitude of nodes or cells of varying sizes, each linked to all the others either directly or indirectly. Some of those cells within the network would in themselves be hierarchically organized bureaucracies recognized by the public as regional, national, or even international organizations"(p.19).

 Mown article argues that we are at a critical point in an evolutionary generative process by which a new system at a hierarchically superior level comes into existence.  It involves ". . . previously existing units and subunits changing their relations with one another and changing their internal structure gradually until, at some point, all the internal and external relations are different enough that the new interdependency is recognized as a system at a higher level of integration.  One of the factors triggering the coalescence of a system at the supranational level now is certainly the capability for instantaneous worldwide communication and the processing of myriad bits of information that previously would have taken months or could not have been done at all"(p.633).

My article is available through JSTOR.  The JSTOR address, if it helps, is:

 http://www.jstor.org/journals/00113204.html

I couldn't find Hine's article on the web, but I have it as: http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~wolfe/HineVH1977.pdf