Good day,

I'm relatively new to this listserv, so I may have missed an earlier discussion about the following concern. Regarding Charles Kadushin's ethical questions, how is the field addressing SNA applications? I perform community-level analyses of public health issues (i.e. HIV) where SNA is very useful in serving the public good. But has there been any discussion about how SNA may be applied in ways that may have little or no benefit either to the study population or society as a whole? For example, commercial marketers are understandably very interested in this research to improve opportunities to reach potential consumers. But what if this knowledge and technology is used to maximize exploitation, such as selling more things to poor people?

Thanks,
Carey Johnson