There are three primary (maybe four) ethnographic software packages, each
of which has its strongly committed advocates and equally strongly rabid
detractors. You have to choose what is best for you and your situation. All
of them can be found on the web with most search engines. One is free. That
is AnSWR which is constructed and maintained by the CDC, as part of their
AIDS program. It very nicely handles very complex data sets and allows for
some very interesting bridges between qualitative and quantitative data
sets. It has a strongly empiricist approach to its logic and works well for
multisite data. Atlas/ti is predominantly hermeneutic and line driven
coding and is very popular amongst a large group of researchers. NUD*IST is
constructed and driven by a grounded theory philosophy and is also
extensively used, with NVIVO, a spinoff, coming along very well in
popularity. This are the major players that you might want to investigate.
There are others that aren't directly designed for ethnographic research,
but work adequately as well. Bob Trotter

At 03:22 PM 3/31/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm trying to find some appropriate resources for some community research
>projects here.
>
>Does anyone on the list use qualitative data analysis software with social
>network analysis software?  Or does anyone use QDA software to help in
>social network analysis?
>
>If you have any references, suggestions or positive (or negative)
>recommendations, I'd be very grateful to hear of them.  If there's enough
>interest, I'd be happy to summarize and post to the list.
>
>I'm sorry if this has been covered.  I have tried to search the list
>archives using the web forms to no avail.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Duncan

>Duncan Branley  [log in to unmask]
>  Applications Officer, Information Services
>    Goldsmiths' College, University of London
>      New Cross, LONDON  SE14 6NW
>Tel: +44 (0)20 7919 7708  Fax: +44 (0)20 7919 7556

Robert T. Trotter, II
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ 86011